Thursday, April 19, 2018

CHRISTMAS in April!!! My 2nd term projects


It was seriously like Christmas today!!  Seriously!  Professor H. pulled all my pieces out of the gas kiln.  I posted a few earlier.  They were from the electric kiln. And while it does leave the colors more vivid, I prefer the smokey deep colors in the gas kiln, so that's where most of mine were fired.



Birds.  These first ones were chicks.  I used a yellow glaze that ended up not being yellow in a gas kiln. 






The second batch are my song birds.  




And my seagull.  He's my favorite of the birds. Frankly, seagulls are my favorite birds.










I did Book Bookends.  It's hard to see, but the book on the left is The Hobbit, with a hobbit hole.  The middle one is Charlotte's Web...Charlotte's there, but hard to see.  And the last one is Anne of Green Gable...her braid and the house.



I did two sets of four mugs.  The bottom looks like tree bark.  I'm really thrilled with how they turned out!









And oh, how I love my face jugs.  I have family requests for more.  I'm thrilled with how their eyes turned out.  I want to work on their ears next time.


I wanted to try making a hand...the kids are referring to it as my Dementor Hand.  Hmm.  You think JK Rowling would like it?

My wooden spoons (I used them in that short story, Spoons) turned out great and Im' happy with my acorn scoops. I think the one in the back on the right is probably the most practical.

And here's my mocha diffusion tray.  I'm so happy with how it turned out!!  It's another one of my favorites of the year!  Underneath is my mocha diffusion bowl.  Love that one, too!





I worked on faces too this term.  This is one of my best girl ones.  I love that she's reading her book in the woods with her buddy!













These were my first faces...uh, yeah, they weren't great.  I mean, you can tell their faces, but they're no really people looking. So I made them goddesses.  LOL




I went to an art show where they had a beautiful leaf painting.  I tried to emulate it.  I did two experimental pieces and I'm happy with the final product!  I'm going to hang it out at camp!

SANTA PALOOSA!!  I wrote about my father-in-law's years of making folk art Santas out of wood.  Here are my ceramic homages.


The kids love these
"Butt Santas."





A bunch of Santa faces close-ups!






































I'm so happy with how these tree mugs turned out!!







Last but not least, here are my quilt pieces.  I'll be mounting them in the next few weeks.  I'll post the finished "quilt."  I did two of each color and fired one in the gas kiln, one in the electric kiln.  I wanted to get a feel for how much they'd change.

Seriously, I can't tell you the amount of glee I had today.  You know how you felt on Christmas morning when you were ten?  Yeah, that describes my feeling today!

Thanks for everyone who followed my adventures in school this year! 

Holly






2 comments:

  1. Holly, that sure is a lot of work. You are growing you talents amazingly. Go Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tricia! I really, really love it! And I sat last night taking notes on this term and thinking about future projects!

    ReplyDelete