Sunday, March 11, 2018

On Failure...My Novel Freshman Experience




I spent my freshman spring break in the studio...well, I spent as much time as I could there.  More than most weeks.  I love having the studio to myself.  I made some more Santas, a set of mugs, and tried some birds and chicks.  And I tried a bunny.  He wasn't awful, but he wasn't a success.  No, since he wasn't really what I wanted, I guess he was a failure.  Oh, he was rabbit-esque enough that I'm keeping him and playing with glazes on him.  But I wasn't happy.  

I spent last night sketching other rabbits...trying to understand how they go together.  I am not great with sketching and may take a class on basic drawing sometime.  But anyway, it was enough for me to start to see how the rabbit can be formed.

And today I tried another one.  The one on the right is the one that's ready to fire...the one I'm not happy with.  The one on the left might not look any better, but he actually is.  I put him together and need to let him sit for a day or so in order for all those pieces to come together, but the shape of him is better.  And his eyes are much better than they look right now!  LOL 

One of the things these Ceramic classes have reminded me is that it's okay to fail.  I have learned that lesson in the past.  Being a writer means I get reminded from time to time.  But Ceramics makes the idea of failing so much more tangible.  I can when something doesn't work and I can see my progress from one piece to the next.  

I think that people forget that failure can be a good thing.  No, I'm not going to tell you that it makes you a better person, but it can inspire you. It can push you.  And when you make a rabbit—or whatever it is you're trying—there's that amazing sense of accomplishment.  

I'll post pics of the finished rabbits later.  But it was a good day in the studio.  I mulled about the new book I'm working on, and mulled how much I hate the time change (did you Spring forward?) and thought about how failures can lead to success.

I hope your next week is filled with success...but if a failure or two sneak in, I hope they inspire you!!

Holly

PS Briar Hill Road is out!  I hope you'll pick up a copy!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment