Monday, March 19, 2018

Book Stories: Briar Hill Road (Dort)

Here's my Monday Glee Book Story...
I've been moving old pictures into archival sleeves and I came across this one of my MIL, me and my oldest. (Yes, I've had lifelong Medusa hair.) It's one of my favorites.

I modeled the mother in Briar Hill Road after Dort. It was really my homage to her. She was a woman who built her life on doing for others. She took in a family member who needed care, she was a teacher, she was a friend...and most importantly she was a woman who was the heart of her family. My life was richer because of her. My family was stronger because she was a part of it.

After my FIL passed away, we made it a point to have her over a few times of week for dinner. Afterward, we'd play Scrabble. Dort was brilliant, BUT she had no idea of Scrabble strategy. So she lost. A lot. And it also turns out, Dort hated to lose. But every time she came over, she ask for a rematch. I think I loved her even more because of it. She was tenacious...something I hadn't realized before Scrabble. I still miss her.

To bring this back to Book Stories (my new blog reoccurring posts), my books are all fiction, but beneath the fantasy there's a core of truth. My truth. Things or people who inspire me. Things that amuse me. Questions I want to answer. Things I want to understand. I've spent my life in books...first as a reader, now as a writer. And each book I've read or written becomes a part of me. Each person who is part of my life impacts me as well. Some more than others. And that's worthy of some Monday Glee.

Have a great week, everyone! And thanks to all my new blog followers. Send me a message if there's something specific you'd like me to blog about.

And have some Monday Glee!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment