Wednesday, January 17, 2018

A Day of Beauty...Birds Edition




 A Day of Beauty...
Birds Edition

Erie is cold and snowy, so it was time to get out for another day of beauty.  And of course, I always know where to go to find some beauty...I headed downtown to the Erie Art Museum.  There was a new exhibit I was anxious to see.  But first, I stopped by Erie's newest coffeehouse, Ember and Forge. (You can see my reflection in the door...I try to get one in each Day of Beauty photo.) I think finding a new coffee hangout is definitely beautiful, so it fit my day's theme!  

Coffee in hand, I walked the block to the Erie Art Museum.  I so enjoy taking a walk through the exhibits and just browse, but this time I went with a purpose...I wanted to see the Daniel Burke collection.


Dan Burke is a local artist and teacher.  I love that so much of his art centers on birds. He talks about why on his bio page in a video

When I wrote Hold Her Heart, there was a younger character who was engrossed by birds.


“You like birds?” I asked.

She nodded, sending more wisps of hair bolting from the ponytail holder. “Yeah. I like ’em all. When we used to go to the beach, I’d take bread for the seagulls. Logan says they’re flying rats, but I like ’em. Did you ever read Jonathan Livingston Seagull? I think that’s why,” she said, not leaving me time to answer. “They’ve got snowy owls out on the peninsula now and bald eagles. And blue herons. Oh, and there’s a whole part of the beach they close down every spring ’cause they hope some birds nest there. Plovers I think. I’d like to go to the peninsula and spot them, but Mom’s not really up to that, so we just watch them back here. I got her garden certified as a wildlife habitat last year for her birthday. There’s a little plaque near the house.”
From where we sat at the back of the garden, the house was only just visible through the bushes and trees. In the summer, when all the leaves were full and green, I didn’t think you’d be able to see it at all. “I’m sure Piper loved the present.”
“I think so.”
“I don’t know much about bird songs, but I’ve always liked learning what groups of birds are called. They’re all something different,” I said. “A murder of crows, a raft of ducks, an unkindess of ravens.” I thought about Jonathan Livingston Seagull and added, “A squabble of gulls.”

I think that's why Burke's art spoke to me.  Like, Fiona, I love birds. He inspired me to try my hand at birds in the studio.  I don't think I quite have the heads right, but for a first attempt, I'm happy with them.  He said in his video that you need 10,000 hours to be proficient at anything.  I've got a few hours to go! LOL  Spring term started, so I'll be getting a few more hours in!

If you're in Erie and haven't seen Burke's Callings exhibit at the museum, it's time to head down and give yourself a Day of Beauty.  And if you're not from Erie, come visit!  And you can visit us in Hold Her Heart and so many of my other books!  I love my hometown and I love bringing readers here for a visit. 

Holly


PS. Here's my view while I work...the birds give me endless hours of glee!



2 comments:

  1. Great article Holly. I love the spoons as a token of love. My ex-husband once spent time at work catching a praying mantis caught in the shop. Everyone thought he was crazy when he told them he was bringing it home to is wife. She's going to kill you. You don't know my wife, she will love this and put it in her garden. And I did, with pictures and all. My cucumbers loved him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tricia, that's a lovely gift and gesture of love! I love the mental image!

      Delete