Monday, September 11, 2017

The Rocker...Perspective is Everything

My mom passed away in July.  Dad gave me her rocker.  Well, to me, it wasn't Mom's rocker.  It was my grandmother's rocker.  I remember it sitting in the corner of my grandmother's living room.  I remember her rocking my brothers in it, and I remember sitting on her lap in it as she read to me.

Mom and I talked about the rocker a few years back.  I said it must remind her of her mother, mainly because that's where my memory of the rocker came from.  She said no, it didn't remind her of her mom.  She remembered it as HER grandmother's rocker.  She remembered Myrtle (yes, I named a fairy godmother after my great-grandmother) rocking her in that rocker and reading to her in that rocker.

Perspective is everything.

I got it reupholstered and picked it up today.  I know I will sit in that rocker and remember my grandmother and my mother...and I'll even think about Myrtle, who I never met.  I will think about the three generations of women who came before me as I rock back and forth.

And maybe someday my kids will sit in the rocker and maybe think of me.

Perspective is everything.

I love that it's something tangible that connects me to those I love and to memories I treasure.

Holly


2 comments:

  1. My grandmother's name was Myrtle and I have one of her rocking chairs. You brought back some sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Liz, I'm so glad it reminded you of your grandmother. I'm so glad you have her rocker...and the memories to treasure!

      Delete