Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My Novel Freshman Experience: Part Ten...Raku


 RAKU


It was a lovely walk to school today.  Yes, I'm still FitBitting at least 10,000 steps every day, so that mile or so walk is helpful!  It's a bit warmer than I like, but not summer-hot, so it was a nice walk up. And look at that sunrise!

Now, on to school...I had so much fun
today!!  We talked about the next project (we're making a boot), got our artist for our reports approved (I'm doing Rob Barnard...love his pots and the fact he writes a lot about pottery)...and we made a Raku cup. I took pictures so you could come to class with me...


So that's the kiln in the back, and those two buckets?  They're filled with sawdust. 






The top of the kiln's been removed and the hot pots are put into the sawdust.  You can see how red-hot the pieces in the kiln are.





The pots actually flame when you put them in the sawdust.  The buckets go back on top and the pieces smoke for a bit.





 The second one down from the top of the picture is mine.  It's after they pots are removed from the sawdust and filled with water to rapidly cool them down.






And here's the finished piece.  This wouldn't be a great cup for drinking, since the flame doesn't get hot enough to really seal it, but it is lovely.  I purposefully left holes with no glaze that turned a lovely black, matte, smoky color.

I'm heading back later today to put some underglaze on my big sculpture (see the previous post).  And I'm starting on my boot later this week...we don't have class Thursday, but I'm thinking I might as well go up and work.  And even though the artist report isn't due for a while, by now you've probably figured out I'll be starting it this week.  LOL  I seriously can't help myself.  The family keeps giving me those, isn't-she-cute looks as I gleefully work on stuff here. But I've wanted to take a pottery class forever...and I'm enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

Hope you all have a good day and find something new to learn that gives you as much glee as this is giving me!

Holly


PS.
Once Upon a Thanksgiving
If you've missed any Novel Experience posts, you can find them here... Part NinePart EightPart Seven, Part SixPart FivePart FourPart ThreePart TwoPart One

PPS The first book in my PTA Mom Trilogy is out on September 26th. You can preorder it now!!


Once Upon a Christmas
Once Upon a Valentine's

No comments:

Post a Comment